Scanning: Looking for something you KNOW.
Ex: Your mom's phone number in a list of contacts.
CNTRL + F = Find on a page.
Type in the word you are looking for and hit the Enter key.
Skimming or Speed Reading: Looking for something UNKNOWN.
Ex. The main idea of an article you haven't read.
RELAX YOUR EYES! Don't read every word!
Move your eyes back and forth down the page.
- Title, subtitles, headings
- Images or boxes
- Nouns and numbers
- bold words
- unknown words (especially if the term is used a lot)
- First and last sentence of a paragraph.
- First and last paragraph of a long article (introduction and conclusion!).
WHEN TO SKIM:
1.) Skim BEFORE READING to decide:
- READ IT (go to step 2)
- or SKIP IT! (move on to next article or search)
2.) Skim DURING READING to find:
- main ideas
- main charachters
- major details
- sequence of events
- patterns to how the text is organized
3.) Skim AFTER READING to:
- review main ideas
- organize thoughts
- make connections
- put it all together